Monday, June 27, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup AND Navy Bean Soup

Today's Main dish Monday is Chicken Noodle Soup AND Navy Bean Soup. This is my mom's recipe but I like to add a few different things. This is my kids favorite recipes so give it a try and tell me what you think! We like to eat ours with breadsticks.

My kids bowls of Chicken Noodle soup


Chicken Noodle Soup
Donna Tolman and Tracie Turner

1 large can 49 oz. chicken broth
6 c. water
2 T. instant chicken bouillon or 6 bouillon cubes (I like the herb chicken flavor)
1 large onion chopped
4-5 carrots chopped fine (I cut these round so my Hubby could pick them out)
3-4 c. cooked chicken, torn into bite size pieces (I like to sprinkle mine with poultry seasoning)
Opt. celery slices

Combine broth, water, and bouillon in a 6 qt pan. Add vegetables and cook until tender. Add 12 oz. of dry noodles and chicken. Simmer until noodles are done.  Be careful not to over cook the noodles.

Navy Bean Soup: Combine ingredients as directed above, but omit chicken and noodles and add ham hocks, or cut up cooked ham ( I have added bacon too and it was AMAZING) and 3-4 c. navy beans softened over night or canned navy beans. Cover and simmer until beans are tender.

The great thing about soups is you can add ingredients and make it a whole different soup or change the flavor just a little. I like to add poultry seasoning to the broth to kick up the flavor a little on the chicken soup.
I also have added more bouillon and broth before to make flavor stronger, just play with it and see what you like.

Enjoy! 

No comments: