Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mint Brownies

These are my moms most requested brownie for a family get together, blessings, baptisms, work parties, and pretty much any get together you can imagine. They have just the perfect amount of flavor. This recipes can also be used for cherry chocolate brownies and I have been tempted to try a orange chocolate brownies but haven't yet.  Per Sara's request here is the recipe. Let me know how they turn out!

Mint Brownies
Donna Tolman

2 c. flour                               1/3 c. cocoa
2 c. sugar                              1/2 c. buttermilk  
1 t. baking soda                     2 beaten eggs 
2 cubes margarine                  1 t. vanilla
1 c. water 

Combine dry ingredients and set aside. In a small saucepan, combine margarine, water, and cocoa. Bring to boil, then pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla and beat with a spoon until smooth. Pour into a lightly greased and floured backing sheet. Bake at 400 for 15-20 min. Frost with mint frosting and chocolate glaze. Yield apx. 48 brownies.

Mint Frosting
2 c. powdered sugar, 1/2 c. melted butter or margarine, 1 T. cream or milk, 1 t. vanilla, 1/2 t. peppermint extract, 3-4 drops green food coloring. Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Spread quickly on warm brownies. Cool completely. Then frost with chocolate glaze.

Chocolate Glaze
1/3 c. margarine, 1/3 c. cocoa, 1/3 c. water, 3 c. powdered sugar. Combine margarine, cocoa, and water in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Pour over powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mixture will be thin. Pour glaze over mint layer and spread quickly as the glaze will begin to set. Be careful not to disturb the mint layer. Cool completely.

Cherry Chocolate Brownies
Substitute 1 t. almond extract and 3 drops red food coloring for peppermint extract and green food coloring. (The color on this is perfect for a baby girl shower and taste divine.)

I am out of peppermint extract or I would post a picture, I will get one up soon.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister I have peppermint extract should we bake them up this weekend I can do it anytime let me know

Tracie said...

You bet! I could friday or saturday. I was going to make some chocolate eclair cake for Alex because it is his favorite. We should do both and share!

Anonymous said...

awesome let me know what ingred you need for the cake i might have some tryiing to get rid of all my food before moving